News

Current Articles | Categories | Search

Liffey Descent Date Change



Liffey Descent 2011 postponed until 8th October due to lack of water.

As you are aware the annual Liffey Descent has traditionally been held in early September.  It had been intended to run the 2011 Liffey Descent on Saturday 10th September next. 

The main attraction of the Liffey Descent over the years has been that it is a ‘big water’ event. The flood for the event is provided by the Electricity Supply Board through the release of water from its upstream reservoirs. The ESB has however recently advised the Irish Canoe Union that reservoir levels are currently at a 35 year low and that having regard to long range weather forecasts and its own water demand forecasts it will not be in a position to release water to facilitate this year’s event in September.  It has indicated that it will be in a better placed in October to facilitate a release sufficient for the ICU to run a satisfactory event.


As a consequence this has left the ICU with a difficult decision – to run the event on 10th September as originally planned but without a flood or to postpone it until early October when there will be a greater possibility of the traditional Liffey Descent flood.


Having considered the matter in great detail and having taken into consideration as many factors as possible including, but not limited to, matters such as potential clashes with other events, mean temperatures in early October and the likely impact of future Liffey Descents in the event of running a ‘dry’ race, the event Organising Committee has arrived at the conclusion that, on balance, the most appropriate course of action is to postpone this year’s Liffey Descent until Saturday the 8th of October.


The ICU regrets that it has been necessary to take this course of action and is conscious that this may not be popular in all quarters. It would however remind canoeists that the release of water is a matter completely outside the control of the Irish Canoe Union and is one solely for the ESB. It is considered that the running of the race in the absence of the excitement generated by a flood would detract from its value as the premier Irish canoeing event. 


The postponement of the Liffey Descent, although regrettable, is considered to be in the best interests of the broader Irish canoeing community and the decision to postpone has been taken in this context.


The 2011 Liffey Descent Organising Committee

<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="https://picasaweb.google.com/s/c/bin/slideshow.swf" width="288" height="192" flashvars="host=picasaweb.google.com&hl=en_US&feat=flashalbum&RGB=0x000000&feed=https%3A%2F%2Fpicasaweb.google.com%2Fdata%2Ffeed%2Fapi%2Fuser%2Fpeter.tallon%2Falbumid%2F5639168048399121185%3Falt%3Drss%26kind%3Dphoto%26hl%3Den_US" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed>




Liffey Descent 2011 postponed until 8th October due to lack of water.

As you are aware the annual Liffey Descent has traditionally been held in early September.&nbsp; It had been intended to run the 2011 Liffey Descent on Saturday 10th September next.&nbsp;

The main attraction of the Liffey Descent over the years has been that it is a ‘big water’ event. The flood for the event is provided by the Electricity Supply Board through the release of water from its upstream reservoirs. The ESB has however recently advised the Irish Canoe Union that reservoir levels are currently at a 35 year low and that having regard to long range weather forecasts and its own water demand forecasts it will not be in a position to release water to facilitate this year’s event in September.&nbsp; It has indicated that it will be in a better placed in October to facilitate a release sufficient for the ICU to run a satisfactory event.

As a consequence this has left the ICU with a difficult decision – to run the event on 10th September as originally planned but without a flood or to postpone it until early October when there will be a greater possibility of the traditional Liffey Descent flood.


Having considered the matter in great detail and having taken into consideration as many factors as possible including, but not limited to, matters such as potential clashes with other events, mean temperatures in early October and the likely impact of future Liffey Descents in the event of running a ‘dry’ race, the event Organising Committee has arrived at the conclusion that, on balance, the most appropriate course of action is to postpone this year’s Liffey Descent until Saturday the 8th of October.

The ICU regrets that it has been necessary to take this course of action and is conscious that this may not be popular in all quarters. It would however remind canoeists that the release of water is a matter completely outside the control of the Irish Canoe Union and is one solely for the ESB. It is considered that the running of the race in the absence of the excitement generated by a flood would detract from its value as the premier Irish canoeing event.

The postponement of the Liffey Descent, although regrettable, is considered to be in the best interests of the broader Irish canoeing community and the decision to postpone has been taken in this context.

The 2011 Liffey Descent Organising Committee

 



Previous Page | Next Page